Caffeinated Reviewer and That’s What I’m Talking About are hosting the annual Audiobook Challenge for 2021. As I got into audiobooks in February, I decided this would be an interesting challenge to help track my audiobook progress.
- Runs January 1, 2021 to December 31, 2021. You can join at any time.
- The goal is to find a new love for audios or to outdo yourself by listening to more audios in 2021 than you did in 2020.
- Books must be in audio format (CD, MP3, etc.)
- ANY genres count.
- Re-reads and crossovers from other reading challenges are allowed.
- You do not have to be a book blogger to participate; you can track your progress on Goodreads, Facebook, LibraryThing, etc.
- If you’re a blogger, you can do a quick post about the challenge to help spread the word. If you’re not a blogger, you can spread the word by posting on Facebook or Twitter about the challenge.
- Updates plus a giveaway will be posted twice during the year. The first update will be July 2, 2021, and the last update will take place on December 30, 2021.
- Newbie (I’ll give it a try) – 1-5
- Weekend Warrior (I’m getting the hang of this) – 5-10
- Stenographer (I can listen while multitasking) – 10-15
- Socially Awkward (Don’t talk to me) – 15-20
- Binge Listener (Why read when someone can do it for you) -20-30
- My Precious (I had my earbuds surgically implanted) – 30+
- Marathoner (Look Ma No Hands) – 50+
- Over-Achiever (Power Listener) – 75+
- The 100 Club (Audiobook Addict) – 100+
For this challenge, I originally decided to go with Marathoner as I thought 50+ would be an ambitious goal. Now that I’ve seen that I’m already above that and I am only halfway through, I decided to fully reach for the stars and go for The 100 Club (100+)! I may come to regret this ambition and want to move down a level, but, for now, I believe I can get to 100!
Instead of featuring daily/weekly/monthly check-ins for this challenge, I decided to post a quarterly check-in. My posts will, therefore, be posted March 31st (January through March), June 30th (April through June), September 30th (July through September, and December 31st (October through December, plus a yearly number recap).
Number of Audiobooks for this Quarter: 20 (April) + 11 (May) + 22 (June)
Number of Audiobooks Total: 66
That wraps up the second quarter of my 2021 Audiobook Challenge progress! May was my “slowest” month as I took time away from reading and also went on two separate camping trips. June was a crazy audiobook month with a huge range in audiobook length from 9 hours to 24+. Most of my audiobooks I listen to at 2.00x, although there are a few that I can go all the way up to 3.00x. My listening speed greatly depends on the narrator. I do not have a favorite narrator, but it is interesting when the same ones pop up in multiple novels, such as the narrator for The Wolf and the Woodsman being the same one who voiced Iris in the Red Queen series.
For those interested in completing the challenge, you can follow the link at the top of the post. Audiobooks are not for anyone, but I recommend them for those wishing to give them a try. I also suggest this challenge as a way to track your progress as maybe you only have one audiobook this year, but then have four next year and you can visually see your growth. That is my goal with this challenge at least. Happy reading and/or listening!