Caffeinated Reviewer and That’s What I’m Talking About are hosting the annual Audiobook Challenge for 2021. As I got into audiobooks in February, I decided this would be an interesting challenge to help track my audiobook progress.
- Runs January 1, 2021 to December 31, 2021. You can join at any time.
- The goal is to find a new love for audios or to outdo yourself by listening to more audios in 2021 than you did in 2020.
- Books must be in audio format (CD, MP3, etc.)
- ANY genres count.
- Re-reads and crossovers from other reading challenges are allowed.
- You do not have to be a book blogger to participate; you can track your progress on Goodreads, Facebook, LibraryThing, etc.
- If you’re a blogger, you can do a quick post about the challenge to help spread the word. If you’re not a blogger, you can spread the word by posting on Facebook or Twitter about the challenge.
- Updates plus a giveaway will be posted twice during the year. The first update will be July 2, 2021, and the last update will take place on December 30, 2021.
- Newbie (I’ll give it a try) – 1-5
- Weekend Warrior (I’m getting the hang of this) – 5-10
- Stenographer (I can listen while multitasking) – 10-15
- Socially Awkward (Don’t talk to me) – 15-20
- Binge Listener (Why read when someone can do it for you) -20-30
- My Precious (I had my earbuds surgically implanted) – 30+
- Marathoner (Look Ma No Hands) – 50+
- Over-Achiever (Power Listener) – 75+
- The 100 Club (Audiobook Addict) – 100+
At the beginning of this challenge, I chose Marathoner (50+ audiobooks). In the second quarter, I decided to become even more ambitious and went with The 100 Club (100+ audiobooks). Now at the end of the third quarter, I actually completed my goal for the year. Therefore, I am creating a new “level” for myself and putting my new goal at 150+ for 2021. Since I am at 121 right now, then I have 29 audiobooks left in the fourth quarter to complete my goal. While I definitely will surpass this goal if I keep about the same amount each remaining month, but I can’t predict if I will have the time or not for the last part of the year, especially with holidays. I am curious to see how many I will end up with by the end of the year and then it will be time to challenge myself again in 2022!
Instead of featuring daily/weekly/monthly check-ins for this challenge, I decided to post a quarterly check-in. My posts will, therefore, be posted March 31st (January through March), June 30th (April through June), September 30th (July through September, and December 31st (October through December, plus a yearly number recap).
Number of Audiobooks for this Quarter: 25 (July) + 15 (August) + 15 (September)
Number of Audiobooks Total: 66 (Q1 + Q2) -> 121 (Q1, Q2, & Q3)
That wraps up the third quarter of my 2021 Audiobook Challenge progress!
Audiobooks have become one of my go-to sources for new and new-to-me novels. I only have about an hour or two a day, if I am lucky to physically read a book, so audiobooks allow me to expand this reading time. Since I have a full time job, outside commitments that are not reading, and any other moments, I try to fit in audiobooks when I can, but sometimes it is not possible. For those interested in completing the challenge, you can follow the link at the top of the post. Audiobooks are not for anyone, but I recommend them for those wishing to give them a try. I also suggest this challenge as a way to track your progress as maybe you only have one audiobook this year, but then have four next year and you can visually see your growth. Looking at my progress over time is my main goal with this challenge as I not only like to see how many audiobooks I can read this year, but how it will compare across other years. Happy reading and/or listening!