This challenge was created last year by Completely Melanie. You can check out her Booktube channel with the original rules, posts, and prompts by clicking here. In this challenge, there are two prompts/challenges per month. The goal is to complete both challenges using titles from your TBR (novels published prior to 2022) and the main “rule” is that books do not double-count.
January – NEW YEAR
- Read a book that you meant to read last year or finish reading a book that you started last year
- Read the 1st book in a series
February – SHORT
- Read a short story collection
- Read a short book (250 pages or less)
March – TRANSFORMATION
- Read a book that has some form of shapeshifting
- Read a book that includes magic
April – SPRING
- Read a book with flowers on the cover
- Fresh and New: Read a debut novel
May – BIRTHDAY
- 5/7 Read a book with 5-7 words in the title
- Emerald: Read a book with green on the cover or spine
June – PRIDE
- Read an LGBTQ+ book
- Read a book with a transgender or nonbianary character
July – BEACH READS
- Read a book with a water creature
- Read a book with water on the cover
August – BACK TO SCHOOL
- Buddy read a book
- Read a nonfiction
September – FALL
- Read a book with leaves on the cover
- Read a book red, orange, or yellow on the cover
October – HALLOWEEN
- Read a paranormal book
- Read a book with the word Black in the title, series name, or author’s name
November – ROLL BACK THE CLOCKS
- Read a book with time travel
- Read a book with the word time in the title or series name
December – MERRY BOOKMAS
- Read a book that you think will make you merry
- Read a bookish book (ex. a book within a book, bookish characters, bookish setting, ect.)
For January, I completed Ash Princess for the first prompt (Read a book that you meant to read last year or finish reading a book that you started last year) and I chose Wings of Ebony for the second prompt (Read the 1st book in a series).
For February, I completed Bridal Boot Camp for the second prompt (Read a short book – 250 pages or less) and Fierce Fairytales: Poems and Stories to Stir Your Soul for the first prompt (Read a short story collection)
My March selections were As Old as Time (Twisted Tales #3) for the first prompt (Read a book that has some form of shapeshifting). For the other prompt (Read a book that includes magic), I completed Serpent and Dove (Serpent & Dove #1).
My April selections were Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles #1) for the first prompt (Fresh and New: Read a debut novel) and The Dating Plan (Marriage Game #2) for the second prompt (Read a book with flowers on the cover).
For May, I decided to continue to attempt series by Sarah Maas with the ACOTAR series. While the covers vary, I based my choices off the covers I liked best. I completed A Court of Thorns and Roses (#1) for the first prompt (5/7: Read a book with 5-7 words in the title) and A Court of Mist and Fury (#2) to fulfill the second prompt (Emerald: Read a book with green on the cover or spine).
My June picks were Something to Talk About for the first prompt (Read an LGBTQ+ book) and I Wish You All the Best for the second prompt (Read a book with a transgender or nonbinary character).
For July, the theme was “BEACH READS.” My two novels for the month were Out of the Blue for the second prompt (Read a book with water on the cover) and Skin of the Sea (#1) for the first prompt (read a book with a water creature). Since both novels have water on the cover and feature mermaids, I randomly matched them to the prompts.
August Novel Picks: Troy (Great Mythology #2) & The Ten Thousand Doors of January
August’s theme is “BACK TO SCHOOL.” I actually re-joined a book club where I was a member a few years ago and decided to attend again. Since the first prompt is to buddy read a novel, I decided to go with our book club selection, The Ten Thousand Doors of January. In July I began Stephen Fry’s Great Mythology collection, so I decided to continue the series and selected Troy (#2) to fit the second prompt (Read a nonfiction).
I can’t believe that we are halfway through the third quarter! I’ve enjoyed all of these reads, so far, and I love having the prompts for a guide to help me select some of my next reads. It’s nice going through my Goodreads TBR list and getting to complete some novels that have been there for awhile as I continue to add to the list with some other reads. My TBR will never reduce as I just keep adding, but it is nice to swap out some of the older ones for some other titles.
2 thoughts on “~ TBR Knockout Reading Challenge: Update & August TBR ~”