This year I will be trying to complete more titles from my backlist. I actually managed to complete both of these challenges last year, so I decided to give them another try this year.
TBR Knockout Reading Challenge
This challenge was created in 2021 by Completely Melanie. You can check out her Booktube channel with the original rules, posts, and prompts by clicking here. In this challenge, there are two prompts/challenges per month. The goal is to complete both challenges using titles from your TBR (novels published prior to 2023) and the main “rule” is that books do not double-count.
January – WHITE AS SNOW
- Read a book with only words on the cover
- Read a book with a mostly white cover
February – BLACK HISTORY MONTH
- Read a book by a black author
- Read a book about a topic affecting the black community
March – WOMEN’S HISTORY MONTH
- Read a book based on something regarding women’s rights
- Read a book with a strong female lead
April – NEW LIFE
- Read a book with an animal on the cover
- Read a book with flowers on the cover
May – MOTHER’S DAY
- Read a book your mother would enjoy
- Read a book with a mom in it
June – PRIDE
- Read an LGBTQ+ book
- Read a book by a queer author
July – SUMMERTIME BLUES
- Read a book with blue on the cover
- Read a book you think will make you cry
August – BACK TO SCHOOL
- Read a book set in a school setting
- Buddy read a book
September – COZY
- Read something cozy
- Read a book with Fall in the title or series name
October – HALLOWEEN
- Read a thriller
- Read a book with a monster in it
November – SELF-CARE
- Read a book that’s going to make you feel good
- Read an easy or relaxing book
December – GIFTS
- Read a book that was gifted to you OR gift someone else a book
- Read a book with gift in the title or a gift on the cover (can also just have something that you might give as a gift on the cover such as books)
January Novel Picks: A Very Large Expanse of Sea & Lore
I am selecting A Very Large Expanse of Sea for the first prompt (Read a book with only words on the cover) and Lore for the second one (Read a book with a mostly white cover).
Beat the Backlist Reading Challenge
The Beat the Backlist Reading Challenge is returning for its 7th year in 2023! It is designed to help you tackle all the books you keep meaning to read and still haven’t, this challenge is flexible enough to work for all kinds of readers. This challenge has tons of options for this challenge, so be sure to check out the original post (Austine Decker) in order to select the ones that work best for you.
The guidelines are simple:
- The book must be published in the previous year or earlier (for the 2023 challenge, anything published in 2022 or earlier counts).
- You have to start and finish the book in 2023.
- Any format, any genre. Re-reads count, and you don’t have to own the book. It’s open for the entire year so whenever you feel like jumping in, you can!
- And that’s it!
There are two “levels” for the optional additions, which are a prompt list and BINGO at 24 novels or 52 novels. Since I actually managed the 52-prompt list last year, I decided to give it a shot again this year. If I can’t finish the entire list, I am hopeful, then, that I can complete the 24 prompt one instead.
I have almost no clue about which novels I will use to fulfill each prompt. I have an idea about some backlist novels that I definitely want to read this year, so I hope those can fit into some of the prompts so I can manage to explore more stories from my TBR.
Both challenges offer some uniqueness while giving me a little extra push to work through my vast TBR, so I am excited to try out each again. My ultimate goal is to have novels not overlap between the challenges as I have enough titles in my backlist, but I shall see how that goes as the year moves forward.